Saturday, October 17, 2009

Reflections on Online Course Work

I now have a new appreciation for participants in online courses and online professional development. It has taken my several weeks to discipline myself so that I don't procrastinate on assignments. I am having to spend a lot of time organizing the assignments so that I understand them. This is not because the instructions are not clear but because of my own unique learning style. I must re-organize in order to comprehend the assignment. Failure to do this leaves me overwhelmed and confused. I also have learned to dedicate more time to working on my assignments and having done so, find them much more rewarding and enjoyable. I feel confident that I will be able to write my three papers and create an interesting, informative presentation in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. same here, i did well in previous online work, but it was at the masters level, and the material was already familiar to me, just a matter of formally taking the courses for credit, any insights you can share would be greatly appreciated, i've been using my treo to keep things organized, but i need to get myself in the habit of checking it too, not just entering everything then forgetting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the challenge is that the work seems so simple that the time required to complete it gets under-estimated. Time expended should range from 3-9 hours per week per 3-hour class, averaging about 6.

    ReplyDelete